VATICAN CITY, OCT 17, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father:
- Appointed Msgr. Stephen Brislin, apostolic administrator of Kroonstad, South Africa, as bishop of the same diocese (area 30,248, population 946,000, Catholics 87,000, priests 17, religious 13). The bishop-elect was born in Welkom, South Africa, in 1956 and ordained a priest in 1983.
- Appointed Bishop Leonardo Yuson Medroso of Borongan, Philippines, as bishop of Tagbilaran (area 1,734, population 623,000, Catholics 553,000, priests 153, religious 90), Philippines.
- Appointed Fr. Abdo Arbach B.C., director of the school of Choueirite Basilian Order in Zahle, Lebanon, as apostolic exarch to the Greek-Melkite faithful resident in Argentina. The bishop-elect was born in Yabroud, Syria, in 1952 and ordained a priest in 1980.
- Appointed Bishop William Kenny C.P., auxiliary of the diocese of Stockholm, Sweden, as auxiliary of the archdiocese of Birmingham (area 8,735, population 5,245,000, Catholics 286,442, priests 358, permanent deacons 76, religious 705), Great Britain.
- Gave his assent to the canonical election carried out by the Synod of Bishops of the Greek-Melkite Catholic Church of Fr. Michel Abrass, professor of liturgy at the University of Kaslik, as titular bishop of Abido. The bishop-elect was born in Aleppo, Syria, in 1948 and ordained a priest in 1981.
On October 14, His Beatitude Gregoire III Laham, Greek-Melkite Catholic patriarch, with the consent of the Synod of the Greek-Melkite Catholic Church and in accordance with canon 85 para. 2 of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches, transferred Msgr. Georges Haddad, from the office of titular bishop of Mira to that of archbishop of Baniyas of the Greek-Melkites (Catholics 1,300, priests 2, religious 12), Lebanon.
NA:NER:NEA/.../... VIS 20061017 (280)